Considering aesthetic surgery?
You need to do your research and become an informed consumer.
Resources / Links
Aesthetic Surgery Books
Information about Anti-Aging Products and Their Active
Read more here
Surgery Celebrity Cosmetic Surgery Whose Had it??
Find out here!
PERRICONE SKIN CARE PRODUCTS
straight from Paris!
HAIRMAX LASER COMB
Don'ts When Considering Cosmetic Procedures in a Spa or Salon
(press release from ASDS - American
Society for Dermatologic Surgery)
As the quest for the perfect
body and a flawless face continues, many consumers have turned to salons,
spas and malls to enhance their appearance at bargain prices. While all
cosmetic procedures are medical, many consumers are being influenced to
believe that certain procedures are easy and free of risks or complications
Ė leading many to seek non-traditional settings in which unlicensed
non-physicians are administering treatments. To educate potential patients
about the red flags associated with non-physicians offering cosmetic
treatments, Rhoda Narins, MD, president of the American Society for
Dermatology Surgery, has developed a few important doís and doníts for
- Do choose a location carefully. Beware of locations outside of
a physicianís office, such as a spa, salon, or store-front in a shopping
mall. These locations usually have no medical staff on-site or emergency
care services in place should something go wrong. Also, although a medi-spa
may be owned or directed by a doctor, the doctor may only visit the
facility occasionally. Ask if the doctor is on-site and immediately
available to supervise procedures.
- Do make sure the doctor is on site. Most cosmetic procedures
should be performed by a physician who is board-certified in dermatology
or another specialty with equivalent training and experience. If the
physician is supervising the procedure, make sure he is on-site and
immediately available to respond to any questions or problems that may
occur while the procedure is being performed.
- Do check credentials. Putting people in scrubs and having
medical charting on the walls make a facility appear professional, but it
doesnít make their staff qualified to perform a medical procedure. Ask
about background and training. Is the physician a member of a medical
specialty organization? This indicates a physicianís desire to keep
abreast of the latest scientific data and medical information. For
additional information, visit the American Society for Dermatologic
Surgery website, www.asds.net.
- Do discuss pain management options. Discomfort or minimal pain
may be associated with some minor cosmetic treatments. Ask about your
options? What are the benefits and risks associated with each option?
Which option do you recommend and why?
- Don't ever go to someoneís home or a hotel room to have a cosmetic
procedure performed. Cosmetic procedures are medical procedures, which
should not be performed in these settings.
- Don't rely on price. If you are receiving a procedure that
costs significantly less than usual, you can assume you are not receiving
the best treatment. Price should not be the determining factor.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions.
- What if something goes awry?
- What procedures are in place to deal with an emergency?
- What training does the staff have?
- Who will perform the procedure?
- Is this treatment right for me?
- Is this laser, device or technique appropriate for my skin type?
- Have you performed this procedure before on the same body part Iím
- May I see your before and after photographs?
- Have you reviewed my medical history?
- Don't go through with a procedure if they canít prove a trained
physician is accessible.
- Don't be afraid to walk away. If it doesnít feel right, then
find a more reputable location.
Knowledge is Power.
Information is How You Get
Most Popular Facial Skin Cleansing System for 1/2 the price, The LOWEST Price
on the internet!!
HOME LASER HAIR REMOVAL
Created by the same scientists who made in-office laser hair removal a
sale!! Home laser light photo rejuvenation therapy; in the privacy of your home
correct the signs of sun damage, age spots, wrinkles and acne.
Do you want to advertise on this site?
Lopez has revealed her skin care secret!
Mason Pearson Hair Brushes